02 February 2005

An Attitude of Gratitude...For A Day I Thought Was The End Of The World

"When I think of Robert Frost's poem's, like "The Road Not Taken," I feel the support of someone who is on my side, who understands what life's choices are like, someone who says, "I've been there, and it's okay to go on."

Taken from, "The World According to Mr. Roger's - Important Things To Remember"

Last week I celebrated a very special, albeit personal, anniversary. One year ago, January 12th, 2004, things looked about as bleak as they possibly could. I generally maintain a sunny disposition, but I couldn't see anything resembling light in the mess I found myself in the middle of and I didn't know which direction to turn. I didn't even know if a direction existed. Fortunately, a very good direction was available.

I'll elaborate more on this in a later post or, as the saying goes, always with a delicious hint of mystery, "more will be revealed", but I do have the need to send out some very special thank yous to some very special people. Of course, I will keep the names anonymous, but you know who you are and I know who you are and who you are is so much more than a name.

The one thing I can testify to is that miracles still happen, because the fact that I am sitting here, alive and well and offering thanks, is nothing short of a major miracle and kudos to what must be a team of guardian angels both in heaven and, fortunately for me, here on earth.

Wednesday, January 12th, 2005, marked one year of a journey that I pray will last the rest of my life. I know that if I remain willing to take a few suggestions and focus on doing the "next right thing", there will be many more such anniversaries to celebrate.

The token I received to mark this milestone doesn't really look all that impressive. It's a simple, plastic, blue disc that resembles a poker chip, but I've had my eye on that blue disc for months and last Wednesday, in a room filled with a collection of extra-special friends I've come to know and love along the way, someone very special and precious presented me with, not only that coveted blue plastic disc, but an amazing piece of stained glass featuring my most favorite flower, a daisy, a wonderful cake congratulating me on "one whole damn year!", and a very warm and heartfelt hug.

I would be remiss not to extend my gratitude to all of the special friends I have made this past year and, particularly, to this one anonymous person who has made my life so much easier, enjoyable, crazy, fun, and chaotic. ALTHOUGH sometimes he can be extremely annoying, it's all about progress...not perfection, right? As I said, you know who you are and I want you to know that everything you did meant the world to me. I know I don't express it adequately or often enough, but please know that I am grateful, not simply for the tangible presents, but for the intangible gift of your care and friendship. OK, so I could do with a little less of the annoying aspect but...that's a whole other blog entry. Please don't worry, I won't even mention your curious affection for John Mayer. Really, it will be our little secret.

I am humbled. I am grateful. I am touched by God's unmerited grace.

Now, not wanting to keep anyone in suspense, here is a photo of the cake but don't worry, the calories didn't download with the image so it's safe to take a look:


No comments: